Tonight in our Living Room small groups, we challenged our groups to put on garage sales in their area. We reviewed Matthew 19 and the young ruler that walked away from Jesus because he wouldn’t sell his things for the poor. Here are some observations that helped shaped this garage sale push.
1. Each group picks their garage sale date and location
2. Each group picks who it is they want to bless whether it’s a family in need or an organization that helps the poor in our community.
3. As an outreach in the neighborhood, the host location invites the families in their neighborhood to participate. It gets the word out about our church and it raises awareness about what we are doing and who we are trying to help.
4. The leftovers get taken to either Goodwill or Salvation Army which futher pushes goods to people helping the disadvantaged.
5. It builds community in our small groups while at the same time reinforcing the idea that our small groups can be a powerful force in helping those in and around their groups.
I simply love this idea and can’t wait to do this every year!!!